Re: CYGWIN SERVER: Some questions

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 10:57:46AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 02:03:32PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >========================================================================
> >     FOOD FOR DISCUSSION  FOOD FOR DISCUSSION  FOOD FOR DISCUSSION
> >========================================================================
> >
> >I have some questions about our "Cygwin server project" which is
> >about to start as soon as we have discussed how to implement
> >the client/server protocol and how to manage differences between
> >NT and 9x based OSes.
> >
> >The most important question IMO is, how do we design the communication
> >protocol? It should combine all qualities which can't live together in
> >reality but only on marketing papers:
> >
> >1. Platform independent (from a Wincentric point of view, 9x/NT)
> >2. Fast
> >3. Reliable
> >4. Secure
> >5. Easy to use
> >6. Expandable
> >
> >What did we found to date? We already discussed the transport layer
> >back in June but we have no result so far. Possible transport layers
> >are:
> >
> >- Sockets (Pro: Platform independent, Easy to use, Con: Secure)
> >- Shared memory (Pro: Platform independent, Fast, Con: Secure)
> >- Named pipes (Pro: Secure, Con: Platform independent)
> >- DDE (Pro: Platform independent, Secure, Con: Easy to use???)
> >- RPC (Pro: Platform independent, Secure, Con: Easy to use???)
> >- COM (Pro: Platform independent, Con: Easy to use???)
>
> How about mailboxes as the communication mechanism?  They share many
> of the characteristics of named pipes, I believe but *I think* they
> work on Windows 95.

I'm not quite sure about the seriousness of this mail but if you
refer to mailslots... they are just a one-way mechanism to push
some data to another process. No real `communication' at all.

On W95 we could use a plenty of methods, too. Just named pipes are
not implemented. Sockets, Shared memory, DDE, RPC, COM are all
available.

I know, you hate W95. Me either.

Red Hat, Inc.