Re: rxvt pops up console with 2001-Aug-07 shapshot

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 04:29:21AM +0900, Kazuhiro Fujieda wrote:

> > but i think if we change
> > FreeConsole() to ShowWindow (hConsole, SW_HIDE); it will look
> > identical on the screen. no?
>
> No. FreeConsole() doesn't destroy the console window but detach
> the process from the window. It destroys the window only when
> there is no process attached with it.
>
> When we execute sshd on bash, my patch detach sshd from the
> console window attached with bash. The window will remains until
> bash terminates.
>
> I'm afraid that it would hide the window before bash terminates
> if we use ShowWindow(hConsole, SW_HIDE) instead of FreeConsole().

I have played around with the FreeConsole a bit and I found
that if we remove your patch from `setsid()' but let the
corresponding patch in `dtable::dec_console_fds()' we could
get the behaviour which seem to be expected:

- rxvt doesn't pop up cmd windows when starting e.g. `net start sshd'
- When starting /usr/sbin/sshd in a console window with CYGWIN=notty
  we can logout from that window and it actually is destroyed with
  sshd still running in the background.

Isn't that the compromise we're searching for or did I miss something?

I can't remove the `AllocConsole()' from inetd, though. I just
tried it again, hoping that Cygwin has changed the behaviour in
the meantime. Unfortunately, when I remove the AllocConsole()
call from inetd I'm again getting console windows resp. no output
from `net start ...' in the telnet window.

... or... wait... would it perhaps help if the AllocConsole isn't
used in inetd but in in.telnetd???

Red Hat, Inc.