Re: New output from mount.exe

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> Again, this was not the rationale for this change.  Here is the change
> >> to mount.exe:
> >>
> >> -  const char *format = "%-18s  %-18s  %-11s  %s\n";
> >> +  const char *format = "%s on %s type %s (%s)\n";
> >>
> >> I didn't reformat slashes or do anything else that was not in the
> >> original version of mount.
> >
> >Would you like to go a step further?
> >
> >Corinna's idea "just printing slashes" can reduce chances for
> >newbies to fail to escape backslashes on creating a new entry
> >with the `mount' command. This would be fine.
>
> It would also lie to the user about what was happening in the Cygwin
> internals.  Cygwin stores these paths as c:\foo not c:/foo.  I don't see
> any reason to mislead anyone about what Cygwin is really doing.

I don't see that change would mislead anyone.  I also don't see why it
is stored in the mount table with back slashes.  It would be beneficial
to everyone to see it as forward slashes so as not to make the obvious
error that this discussion is trying to avoid.  This change will cut
down on the mail to the Cygwin list and we all would very much
appreciate that.

Earnie.