Re: setup revisit

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
To: <cygwin-developers@cygwin.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2001 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: setup revisit

> >Actually you *still* have to say that. I get caught by cygipc.exe on
> >routine basis - and I hope I'm not your average newbie. You will
> >*always* have to say that until whatever is trying to replace
> >cygwin1.dll / bash to name the most probable culprits is able to do
> >"behind the scenes" work. See my comments re replaceing files on
reboot
> >for a long term solution.
>
> You do have to say this when you are installing the cygwin package.
> Other packages are unaffected.  With the old installer any
installation
> (gcc, bash, ncurses, etc.) was affected by the cygwin conflict.

Oh. That wouldn't have affected what I was suggesting (the current
cygwin1.dll would be used unless an update was present - in which case
it comes back to the current setup's behaviour.).

> >True.  I was hoping to put my nose down and hack all weekend, but it
> >looks like rpm is *not* going to play nice so I'll give it a slightly
> >lower priority for now.
>
> Don't let me discourage you though, Robert.  If you can get this done,
> it will be pretty cool.  Doesn't RPM have a library like interface,
too?

I'm lookinginto that. The RPM issue I'm fighting with currently is
porting sleepycat's db to raw win32 as a static library. (It doesn't
build with gcc unless you build it for cygwin :[).

Once that's out of the way I can actually try to build rpm natively.

Rob