Re: sample setup "version chooser"

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 09:53:35PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>I've had to build a custom control for the next thing I'm working on
>in setup, so please try this and comment on it:
>
>	http://www.delorie.com/sample-chooser.exe

I've just tried this.  It took me a little while to figure out what
was going on since I purposely did not read your description below.

I didn't really "get it" until I read your description.

I don't know if that is a problem or not.  Will there be more words
and descriptions around the entries?  Or, maybe all that is needed
is a "Help" button.

>My original idea was for the user to select a default level of
>paranoia/daring that I call "trust" (how much you trust the packages
>to work right).  Then, when they run setup, it checks to see what the
>appropriate version of each package is based on their tags and your
>trust, and automatically updates your system to match that.
>
>However, the chooser I've created allows the user to override that
>default on a package-by-package basis, so you could (for example) try
>an experimental version of just one package, or choose to uninstall a
>single package.

I think it is better to start with pinpoint control like this.

>If the user selects to install a package that isn't installed by
>default, should it get upgraded automatically by default after that?
>Same for uninstalling a package that's installed by default.

Bleah.  Sounds like another button?  Or maybe an additional dialog
box after the user moves off of this dialog:

"Should non-standard package XXX be upgraded by default in the future?"
Yes/No/Yes to all/No to all

"Should standard package XXX be skipped when checking for upgrades in the future?"
Yes/No/Yes to all/No to all

>What you can't do at the moment are these:
>
>You can't have different default trust levels for each package.
>I.e. you can't automatically get new experimental releases for some
>packages, but stick with stable releases for others.

Hmm.  I think this would be pretty important.  If Chuck Wilson wanted
people to try out a new version of libpng, it might be nice to just
run setup to get that, while keeping everything else the same.

>You can't easily choose a new trust level while looking at the list of
>packages.  If this is a popular request, I may rewrite the code to
>support it, but at the moment it's all picked at startup.

I think this would be a nice feature too.  I'll bet that people would
expect this.