Re: new setup.exe in cvs!

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 05:02:33PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> A possible solution could be to implement a tar file with something
>> like a 'postinstall.sh' in it and the general files in it. this
>> package could install to /tmp, setup calls it after the mount points &
>> everything is set up and running and all the maintainance with
>> removing files, renaming config etc. could be done there.
>
>If/when RPM support is integrated into setup, we can do this.  Until
>then, I think sticking with what setup does now is best for what FAQs
>I've seen on the mailing list so far.

I like the postinstall.sh idea, actually.

There have been requests that we do things after setup has completed
installing packages.  I started to implement something like this in the
previous version, except I was going to use a .bat file.

I didn't use /bin/sh because it is theoretically possible that the
user could not have /bin/sh installed on their system.

Things that we could do are:

mkdir -p /tmp /var/run /usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin /usr/local/include
touch /var/run/utmp
mkgroup
mkpasswd
create /usr/info/dir
remove empty /usr/i686-pc-cygwin/... tree

There are probably many more things that could be done and the nice
thing about putting this in a script is that we wouldn't have to
recompile setup.exe to accomplish this.