Re: setup: icons, shortcuts, and batch files

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 04:15:25PM +0200, Michael Ring wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:03:57 -0400, you wrote:
>

>>I didn't think of /etc/profile; that would make a lot of things easier
>>to do!
>
>I am more than willing to provide a tar.gz file with some nice
>defaults for system startup as a starting point. I think not too much
>should be glued into setup.exe than can be provided in other ways.
>
>example:
>
>creation of /tmp or /var/run/utmp is something that fits nicely into a
>tar.gz file; also providing cygwin.bat is a case for that tar.gz file.

Both of those were already created by the older version of setup.exe.

IMO, most of the stuff in your /etc/profile should be established by
setup.  I don't like the idea of repeatedly checking to see if something
has been done when it should be done during the setup phase.  That
slows down bash startup.

The only reason to do this that I can think of is that if the user
accidentally deletes /etc/passwd, it will be magically restored the
next time they run bash.  I don't think that that is a strong argument
for this kind of activity in /etc/profile.