Re: new setup.exe in cvs!

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:38:07 -0400, you wrote:

>> Just downloaded it, started it, ......   .......  .......  no option
>> for sys/user mounts in the version I downloaded...
>
>Oops, uploaded the wrong copy.  Try now.

O.K. this one worked.

Tried out installation as non-administrator & system-registry, worked.

I will have a look at the access rights inside the registry later,
right now I am busy with other things.

>> Also you did not modify cygwin.bat. the path still gets set there so
>> now /bin and /usr/bin show up twice.
>
>I don't change it if it already exists.  You have to delete the files
>if you want setup to build new ones.

This behaviour makes it very difficult to provide necessary updates. I
see the problem, but the

>> If you remove the PATH command from cygwin.bat then it is save to
>> start bash in a cmd window as often as the user wishes.
>
>But you have to hard-code the path to bash, and that shows up in
>bash's messages:
>
>	bin\bash: foo bar grill

Please try this :

----
@echo off
C:
chdir \Cygwin\bin
bash --login -i
----

>> You should also think about the idea to move profile cygwin.cmd etc.
>> to a tar file for better & easier supportability.
>
>No, because updating that tar file would override any local changes
>the user may have made to those files.  Setup will only create
>new files, it won't replace existing ones.

But how far are you willing to go ? I think it is a nightmare to have
'business logic' implemented into an installation program.

A possible solution could be to implement a tar file with something
like a 'postinstall.sh' in it and the general files in it. this
package could install to /tmp, setup calls it after the mount points &
everything is set up and running and all the maintainance with
removing files, renaming config etc. could be done there.

Michael