Re: new setup.exe in cvs!

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 21:03:17 -0400, you wrote:

>OK, folks, time for an update frenzy - the new setup is in CVS.  You
>should be able to just do "cvs update", but if it doesn't look like it
>deleted pretty much everything in cinstall (*.c) and replaced it with
>a couple dozen new files (*.cc), then just remove the cinstall
>directory and do "cvs checkout winsup" again.
>
>If you are bored and want a short project to do, read the new README.
>There's a list of little things that still need attention.
>
>A sample exe is at the URLs posted previously.
>
>Enjoy!
>
>DJ

I tried it a few minutes ago, WOW! Looks nice! I am impressed.

Here my 10 Cents: (one important, 2 cosmetic)

/usr/lib, /usr/bin and / are registered in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, this
will break tools (like inetutils) which need to see the mounts in the
context of hkey_local_machine. (Corinna, please correct me if I am
wrong on this)

If I choose 'install from the internet' a mirror of latest is created
on my harddisk.

The way I read the menu is:

Download from Internet to Current directory means:
Just exactly what it says
Install from Current Directory means:
Just exactly what it says
Install from Internet means:
Download from the internet, do not permanently copy the files to my pc
(perhaps because of Size limitations)

So, the problem is either:
The text 'Install from Internet' should be renamed to 'Download to
current directory and install'

or

setup should download one file at a time to %TMP% , install it and
then remove the file after successful installation.
If the user hits Cancel during installation the file in %TMP% should
be deleted.

(( I cannot choose direct connection, only ie5 settings. (O.K. this is
perhaps a todo I found;)))

Michael Ring