Re: [RFD]: Using a new feature of Win2K for symlinks

"Parker, Ron" wrote:
> FWIW, this only works on local drive resources, but not to network
> directories.  That is a function of DFS.

Right but this doesn't influence symlinks in Cygwin at all.
As I mentioned, my patch falls back if the reparse point
algorithm fails. This could be still tuned.

> >       Symlinks to directories are now transparent
> >       to Windows apps at least on NTFS5 and with W2K
> >       I think that is a good start. And hopefully
> >       Microsoft will implement symlinks to regular
> >       files with that method later, too.
>
> The problem is that when file systems with reparse points are shared across
> a network other machines do not see them as a symlink.  They see them as a
> regular file.  This is especially true for Win9x machines.

No. I have explicitely tried that. Other machines in the
network see what it is: A directory! And that directory
contains exactly the files which are expected. This is
completely ok for me.

> > Shall we:
> >
> > - Forget that patch completely?
> > - Create some new option for the user?
> > - Well, Wow! I always have waited for that! Go ahead!
>
> How about using IO_REPARSE_TAG_MOUNT_POINT tags to implement mount
> functionality for local resources on Windows 2000.  I know its not as sexy
> as OS support for real symlinks, but it is a start.

You already have that functionality thru logical drive
manager and that is transparent to all apps including Cygwin,
too. For that, we don't need to implement anything.

Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Developer
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company