Re: Time for a new DLL release

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 03:12:46PM -0500, Parker, Ron wrote:
> >[...]
> >included.  What I am really talking about is not just porting it, but
> >creating a version that is fully integrated with the standard Windows
> >"Add/Remove Programs" functionality, wininet and possibly even the Microsoft
> >Installer event model.

Do you think that each package which is installed as a part of
the local cygwin install should have it's own entry in the windows
"Add/Remove Programs" tab? Just a question. It would completely
replace the standard rpm database then, isn't it? Nevertheless
rpm itself has to be a cygwin app, IMO, because I would like
to be able to use it on the command line.

Chris Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 02:31:20PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
> >[...]
> >know" which RPMS needed to be downloaded.  At any rate, I am willing to
> >help out on the GUI installer side.
>
> Experience has shown me to run screaming in the other direction whenever
> I hear someone say that "The GUI should just be easy."

I would gladly appreciate any help in building a Windows GUI. I had
the bad luck to be forced to write Macintosh/Windows GUIs the last
seven years and I'm cured of them! Whatever you do there is always
a user which is graining about the position or the ambiguous text of
a button. Umm, no, I'm not _really_ embittered...

Larry Hall wrote:
> As for the GUI, there has been one
> (and now there's at least 2 with the advent of GNOME) that we could key off
> of.  There may be issues with what the underlying GUI engine is (GTK, X,
> whatever) and that may make it difficult or otherwise undesirable to use
> but at the very least, it should be possible to at least "follow the pattern"
> to create a new GUI that suits any Cygwin specific need.

I have heard that a Tcl/Tk GUI shall already exist. Maybe we could
use it in any way?