Re: setup.exe questions

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 06:38:45PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> I saw that DJ said that c:\cygwin was the default root directory and that
>> the default prefix was /usr. I don't have the CYGWIN CD so I can not check
>> it. What should the defaults be for the CYGWIN, TERM, MAKE_MODE, etc.? Also,
>> what makes sense for a default HOME under Win9x?
>
>My suggestions:
>
>CYGWIN = ""
>MAKE_MODE = "unix" (since we're providing the unix shell and utils)

Actually, if we're using the make from the Cygwin CD, the default make mode
is already UNIX, I believe.  Are these the sources from the CD, DJ?

>HOME = "/home"  (or "/dj" for me under NT)  I'm not a big supporter of what
>	MS calls a "home directory", but this is one of those things
>	where you could prompt the user for one, with a suitable default
>	pre-chosen.
>
>TERM, I think, should be "cygwin" although mine is "linux" :-(

Cygwin defaults to the correct term type, which is "cygwin".  There is no
need to set this.

>> Should the root mount default to binary or text mode?
>
>I use text mode to enhance interaction with other utilities, but I
>mount my shares binary so when I save files there I can use the unix
>tools on them.  I also think that binary mounts hide compatibility
>problems that we really should fix.  I'm a big fan of making little
>problems into big problems so they get solved instead of forgotten.

I would prefer to stick with the way we did this on the CD.  The Cygwin
UNIX utilities are mounted on a UNIX-style directory but the default
for user mounts is still text?