Re: snapshot-991207

Corinna Vinschen <corinna@vinschen.de> writes:

> Sorry Chris but I do have problems found with the new snapshot.
> Actually tcsh doesn't work. Very frequently the forked child hangs
> before it could do it's exec call. From another shell you can
> kill the child but not from the parent with, say, Ctrl-C.
> Unfortunately `very frequently' means `unusable' because it's
> really _very_ often (7 of 9 forks ;-)
>
> I don't have that much time, but if you wish I try to send you an
> strace, though.

I ran into something similar -- when trying to build winsup/newlib on
a Win98 machine, make will happily run for a while, and then suddenly
hang. I can kill the top few with `kill -TERM', but the lowest 2 need
to be killed with `kill -9', and then I'm back again.

Of course, this is with *both* the new signaling code and thread enabled
code, so this evening I'll try to figure out which one may be causing
this and hopefully get a strace (don't worry, I'll trim and compress
before sending 15MB of strace output ;-).

Corinna, could you try the same experiment please by building another
dll with --disable-threads and see what happens?

Regards,
Mumit