A trick for installing cygwin natively

I've been having a devil of a time lately (sorry, I've just watched two
British movies in a row) trying to install a complete source tree into a
new "root" cygwin directory.  Every time, the top level make install hit
the winsup directory, the installation would go crazy because it was
installing a new cygwin1.dll and the /bin/sh that was being run was using
the old one.

I tried making sure that nothing in the new root directory was in the
path but that didn't help because many things reference /bin/sh
directory.  I tried renaming the dll out of the way, which worked, but
fork didn't like that at all.

My solution is to do this:

mount -b c:\oldcygwin\bin\sh.exe /bin/sh

Then, any time that somebody (i.e., make) wants to run /bin/sh it uses
the older version of both /bin/sh and the cygwin1.dll.

It works great.

I thought that I'd pass this tidbit along in case anyone else was having
similar difficulties.

-chris