Re: libcygwin.a as a symbolic link to lib{c,m}.a -- need insight

Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:

> >pro:
> >  - using ld (as opposed to gcc) will work as expected. Lots of configure
> >    script will run `ld ... -lc' etc. I consider it bad practice in
> >    general, but it's out there. This currently doesn't work either.
>
> This is a pretty big pro.  If a configure script can find the right stuff
> in a libc.a then this is a big win.

Agreed.

> >con:
> >  - non-cygwin apps can't look inside libc.a or libm.a. This may or may
> >    not be an issue, but something to think about.
>
> I don't think we should worry about this.  I'm talking about providing
> a Cygwin distribution.  I don't care if something else breaks.

Agreed.

> >For a few 100k extra disk space, we could just hard link it (which will
> >eventually not copy when Cygwin supports native hard linking).
>
> Cygwin does support hard linking on NT.  On 95/98, I think we'd find
> that libc.a would get out of sync with libcygwin.a.

I should've mentioned w9x. I don't know anything about w2k.

I vote for linking both libc.a and libm.a to libcygwin.a. In the future,
we should probably use -lc in gcc config files as well, but that's not
something we need to think about right now.

Regards,
Mumit