Re: network installation failed, new diagnostics

Am 16.01.2017 um 14:00 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
On Jan 15 23:49, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Concerning https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00021.html,
I have some new insights; first, I tried with a range of older versions of
setup.exe (from the cygwin time machine) but all failed, so its not a
regression as I had speculated.

Then I tried to run setup.exe without elevation, by elevating before
(running mintty as adminstrator). So I noted (and could have checked this
earlier...) that the involved network mounts were not fully established:

mount (unelevated):
L:/TGI/cygwin7 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
L: on /cygdrive/l type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

mount (elevated):
//141.64.144.100/Labormaterial/TGI/cygwin7 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)

After fixing the mount:
net use L: '\\141.64.144.100\Labormaterial'

setup.exe works as expected.

Not being familiar with details of Windows permission stuff and
user-specific mounts myself, does this help to analyse and maybe even fix
the situation?
This is an UAC issue, not a Cygwin setup issue.  When elevating, the
mounts are not propagated to the elevated processes.  There's a
documented registry value enabling the supposedly dangerous propagation
of mount point to elevated processes, but I don't knowe it off the top
of my head.  You may want to search MSDN.
On my home systems, mounts are not propagated at all, I wouldn't expect setup to work then, agreed. However, on that lab systems, the mounts are kind of half-way propagated to elevated mode. They and visible and accessible using the network path (cd //141.64.144.100/Labormaterial/TGI; ...). Now setup.exe apparently has remembered the network path for the Local Package Directory which appears as \\141... in the respective setup.exe screen, and in fact it does all the downloading to that directory, it just fails during later installation which corresponds to the Root Directory path appearing in drive format (L:...) in the respective setup.exe screen. I'm just thinking if setup.exe would handle the Root Directory path in the same way as it handles the Local Package Directory path, the setup should work in that case.
------
Thomas