Re: network installation failed, new diagnostics

On Jan 15 23:49, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Concerning https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00021.html,
> I have some new insights; first, I tried with a range of older versions of
> setup.exe (from the cygwin time machine) but all failed, so its not a
> regression as I had speculated.
>
> Then I tried to run setup.exe without elevation, by elevating before
> (running mintty as adminstrator). So I noted (and could have checked this
> earlier...) that the involved network mounts were not fully established:
>
> mount (unelevated):
> L:/TGI/cygwin7 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> L: on /cygdrive/l type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> mount (elevated):
> //141.64.144.100/Labormaterial/TGI/cygwin7 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
>
> After fixing the mount:
> net use L: '\\141.64.144.100\Labormaterial'
>
> setup.exe works as expected.
>
> Not being familiar with details of Windows permission stuff and
> user-specific mounts myself, does this help to analyse and maybe even fix
> the situation?

This is an UAC issue, not a Cygwin setup issue.  When elevating, the
mounts are not propagated to the elevated processes.  There's a
documented registry value enabling the supposedly dangerous propagation
of mount point to elevated processes, but I don't knowe it off the top
of my head.  You may want to search MSDN.

HTH,

Red Hat