Re: [ITP] cloudabi-toolchain, cloudab-binutils-*

On 29/03/2016 21:01, Maurice Bos wrote:
On Mar 29, 2016, at 12:35 PM, Maurice Bos wrote:
category: Devel
requires: cygwin
sdesc: "Binutils targetting aarch64 CloudABI"
ldesc: "Binutils targetting aarch64 CloudABIâ

I believe the need for an explicit dependency on cygwin was removed many years ago.  A blank ârequiresâ line is perfectly legal.

(If Iâm right about this, I believe Mr. Bos got this idea from the current setup.html page which still shows such examples.)

I used cygport to generate the packages. It did this automatically, it seems.

You are correct that historically, the cygwin dependency was specially removed by cygport, and then specially added back (for everything) by upset.

This has been rationalized, so that cygport now adds a cygwin dependency for packages which contain executables which require the cygwin DLL (in exactly the same way it treats every other executable dependency...), so this requires: is correct.

Existing packages have been retroactively fixed.

I don't think there's anything that documents the previous behaviour to update, which was, I believe, for historical reasons to do with correct post-install dependency ordering, or some such.