Re: Question about clisp version naming

On 3/22/2015 6:33 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 3/22/2015 4:50 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
Ken Brown writes:
And indeed it does.  I've still got a couple of things to clean up,
but I expect to upload a new clisp soon that no longer uses lisp.dll.
I hope that will solve the Maxima problem

It doesn'tâ Instead of lisp.dll it now requires lisp.exe to be in $PATH
and it produces an executable that immediately segfaults.  This has
nothing to do with maxima, you can produce the same abort more simply
with:

clisp -norc -q -x '(progn (ext:saveinitmem "test.exe" :init-function
(function exit) :EXECUTABLE t))'
env PATH=${PATH}:/usr/lib/clisp-2.49+/base ./test.exe

But saving non-executable memory images seems to work fine:

$ clisp -norc -q -x '(progn (ext:saveinitmem "test.mem" :init-function
(function exit)))'

[output deleted]

$ clisp -M test.mem
   i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
   I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
   I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
    \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
     `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
         |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
   ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

Welcome to GNU CLISP 2.49+ (2010-07-17) <http://clisp.org/>

Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2000
Copyright (c) Sam Steingold, Bruno Haible 2001-2010

Type :h and hit Enter for context help.

Bye.

So maybe you could dump a memory image maxima.mem and start it with a
script that calls 'clisp -M maxima.mem'.

I just took a look at the maxima package, and it seems that you already use a script that does something like this in the absence of a maxima executable. Is it really much slower to start maxima that way? I tried 'clisp -M maxima.mem', and it started up instantly. Whatever other overhead there is in the maxima script seems to be the same whether there's a maxima executable or not. But maybe I'm missing something.

Ken