Re: [RFC] incremental rebase

Hi guys,

On Nov 17 20:08, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
> > What I have in mind is simpler than this.  There's nothing wrong with
> > the existing texlive postinstall scripts except slowness, due to the
> > repetition of time-consuming commands in different scripts.  So I just
> > need to do some rearranging:
> >
> > 1. I would create a pre-postinstall perpetual script that checks
> > /etc/postinstall to see if there are any ordinary texlive postinstall
> > scripts that are not marked as done.  If so, it runs mktexlsr.  [This
> > may not be necessary; I have to think about it some more.]
>
> If the ls-R file is younger than the package file in /etc/setup, then it
> has already been re-created in that postinstall session, I'd think.
>
> > 2. I would modify all ordinary texlive postinstall scripts to remove
> > all calls to mktexlsr, fc-cache, and updmap-sys, except for calls to
> > the latter that simply enable maps.
>
> If the above works, leave them in and conditionalize on the result of
> that test.
>
> > And I would remove the --nohash
> > option from those.  In addition, these scripts would create a marker
> > file to indicate that updmap-sys and fc-cache need to be run later.
>
> It might be possible to just do this based on the timestamps as well,
> that is if ls-R is younger than some file, re-run updmap and fc-cache.
>
> > 3. I would create a post-postinstall perpetual script that runs
> > updmap-sys and fc-cache as needed.
>
> Indeed.

I'm glad for this initiative, but personally I don't have a strong
opinion what's the best way to go forward.  I'd just like to see some
mechanism to allow what Achim's _autorebase replacement does,
preferredly for _update-info-dir and other packages as well, and Ken's
request makes sense to me.  And I'd prefer a simple method, which can be
easily deployed by us maintainers, with the help of cygport if possible.

Yaakov, as cygport maintainer and distro overlord you are best-suited
to handle this issue.  Can you please chime in here and move this
forward?

Other than that, I'm open to almost everything.  Achim, if you don't
already have write access to the setup repo, please send your ssh key
per https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/pdw/ps_form.cgi.

Thanks,

Red Hat