Re: 64-bit: Missing perl modules

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Reini Urban writes:
>> The new 5.18.2 package will be unified for 32bit and 64bit, yes.
>
> Looking forward to it...
>
>> perl_vendor will probably stay as is, as it is the easiest for the
>> user and the maintainer.
>
> I beg to differ.  It would be vastly easier for everyone if perl_vendor
> simply depended on those packages that are now hidden inside it.  Let me
> know what's inside the new perl_vendor and I'll help to produce those
> single distribution packages.

Nope.

>> I still need to rebase all most-used XS modules esp. on 32bit perl to
>> make sense and avoid dll base collisions on forks, which happens with
>> CPAN, a basic bootstrap problem.
>
> I've not been doing that for more than two years now and have actually
> backed out the respective changes in MakeMaker, IIRC.  As long as I'm
> using cygport I'm not running into problems (except for PDL since this
> produces several DLL that initially occupy the same address space, which
> is easily taken care of with an ephemeral rebase before testing).

You can do individual perlrebase or wait for the full autorebase for
every XS installation.

With individual split perl_vendor packages the user needs to wait for
every single rebase update.
With the combined perl_vendor I'll do it as part of the build step and
the user only needs to wait for one rebase run.

>> My cygwin-specific rebase framework for CPAN modules still needs some
>> love, esp. on 32bit.
>
> I'm doing incremental auto-rebase on install, YMMV.

Sure, that's automatic of you care to package everything.
But updates come every week, not every two years.
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/