Re: fontconfig packaging suggestion

On Apr  3 18:52, Ken Brown wrote:
> Yaakov,
>
> There is a problem with having fontconfig include the Windows Fonts
> directory in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.  Namely, the font cache for that
> directory is very likely to be out of date [*], but most users have
> no idea that they need to run fc-cache to keep it up to date.  This
> can cause slowdowns or worse for applications that use fontconfig.
> See, for instance
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/threads.html#00246 and several
> similar reports that came later.
>
> I propose that fontconfig *not* include the Windows Fonts directory,
> but that a new package (perhaps called fontconfig-windows-fonts) be
> created that takes over this functionality.  This could either be a
> subpackage of fontconfig or an independent package, in which case I
> would be glad to maintain it.
>
> This package would handle the Windows Fonts directory by creating
> the appropriate file in /etc/fonts/conf.d, and it would also provide
> a script that calls fc-cache to update the Windows Fonts cache.  The
> release announcement would warn users that the script should be
> called whenever the Windows Fonts directory changed.  And I would
> explicitly advise emacs-X11 users *not* to install the package
> unless they really want to be able to use Windows fonts while
> running emacs under X.
>
> WDYT?

I'm not Yaakov, but, may I throw in a dumb idea?

What if fontconfig installs scripts for sh and csh in /etc/profile.d,
which has only one task:  It checks if the fc cache is older than the
modification date of the Windows fonts directory.  If so, it either
calls fc-cache or, if that takes too long, it simply informs the user
in distinct words that fc-cache needs running.

Would that work?  Does it make sense?