Re: [ITA] Git et al

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 07:25:32AM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 01/15/2014 04:06 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> > There's a new build available at http://tastycake.net/~adam/cygwin/
> > which resolves that issue.  If you want to give it a try and let me know
> > how you get on, I'd be exceedingly grateful.
>
> I've now had a chance to test this, and at least my use cases worked.  I
> can't say I used ALL of git functionality, but what I did use shows that
> your build is good.  Let's go ahead and pass the maintainer baton.

I have an outstanding issue with the packaging I've just spotted --
git-cvs relies on perl-DBD-SQLite, which doesn't exist.  I suspect this
is a result of taking Yaakov's cygport files.  I've not used Git's CVS
tools before, so it might take me a little while to work out whether the
problems I'm seeing are the result of missing packages, PEBCAK or
something else.

Thinking about it, my build and packages take Yaakov's work over at
Cygwin Ports to split the Git packages (at the moment, git-cvs is part
of the main git package, for example, while my build separates it out).
I know there have been debates about this in the past; is there
currently any guideline about the best way to manage such package
splits?