Deleting old versions of packages

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:14:52PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:31:34PM +0100, David Stacey wrote:
>>Thanks to CGF for the effort that has gone into the new upload process -
>>I've just uploaded a new package called 'icoutils' and it was really
>>quite painless.
>>
>>One thing I haven't grasped yet is the mechanism by which old versions
>>are deleted. If I were to upload a new version of an existing package,
>>how would I go about removing the oldest?
>
>Eventually old packages will be deleted (actually archived) automatically.
>I haven't yet added that functionality to upset though.  Maybe this weekend
>if I have the time.

The problem with this method is that it forces you to use a setup.hint
file to delete packages.  For instance, I just had a case where I wanted
make-4.0-2 to be curr and make-3.82.90-1 to be prev.  I really don't
want to have to change setup.hint to enforce that because that's error
prone.  If that's exactly what people were trying to warn me about then
I apologize for being dense.

I don't like the clunkiness of creating anti-files in the sftp directory
to force deletions but I can't think of any other way to do this short
of actually making it look like the entire release directory is in the
user's sftp area.

cgf