Re: [RFU] TeX Live 2012 (texlive-20120628-1, etc.)

Hi Ken,

Ken Brown writes:
> 1. When creating the various texlive-collection-* packages, instead of
> creating postinstall scripts, I would drop files into
> /usr/share/texmf-dist/postinstall containing the postinstall
> information.

Exactly, although you could change that place of course (I've started
with /etc/postinstall/texlive.d/, but that looked too wierd to me and
I've moved it to texmf-dist).  And removing a package removes that file
again from there.

Another thing: I've created an (empty) directory /usr/share/texmf-site
since there are some texlive scripts that produce a warning if that
directory does not exist.  I'm still getting a warning about
non-activated kanji maps, but since I don't use any kanji I guess that's
OK.

> 2. There would be a new package, say _texlive-postinstall, which would
> take care of the postinstall tasks, with arguments lumped together
> when possible.  I guess the various files in
> /usr/share/texmf-dist/postinstall would have to be renamed (with the
> addition of ".done"?) afterwards.

There are multiple possibilities: you could provide the postinstall
script via an extra package that is automagically updating like
autorebase or update_info and make that postinstall package a dependency
(although I don't think that would be appropriate here, all things
considered).

Or you could drop the same postinstall script from all texlive packages
that need one, so you'd overwrite that script multiple times when more
than one package is selected (this seems the easiest way to do it to
me).

> P.S. One detail: I don't think running fmtutil-sys --refresh is
> sufficient.  Wouldn't you also have to run fmtutil-sys --missing to
> create format files for the first time?

Now that you say it: if you do not deliver any format files with the
package then yes you'd need two invocations of fmt-util, one with
--missing and then the other with --refresh.  Time-wise this would
probably be a wash, but IIRC, the aleph formats were originally not
installed and had been created with --missing.  Not much of a problem,
but maybe they shouldn't be active in the configuration in the first
place.

Regards,
Achim.