Re: GCC dependencies (attn David Billinghurst)

Den 2011-08-14 13:20 skrev Corinna Vinschen:
> On Aug 13 18:20, Peter Rosin wrote:
>> Den 2011-08-13 13:28 skrev Corinna Vinschen:
>>> here's a minor nit, but that bugs me for a while now.
>>>
>>>   $ cc hello.c
>>>   $ ./a.out
>>>   bash: ./a.out: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> I would like to see that GCC for Cygwin creates the output file
>>> "a.out.exe", so the result is the same on Unix/Linux and Cygwin:
>>
>> It's "a.exe" for cygwin native.
>
> I know.  That was my point.  On other systems it's called a.out, on
> Cygwin it's called a.exe.  So, if you try to learn C using the good old
> K&R book from 1983, you're asked to compile hello.c and then call a.out.
> Doesn't work on Cygwin for obvious reasons.  Why on earth didn't the GCC
> folks decide to name the output file a.out.exe, so you can run "hello,
> world" by running a.out as well?

Oops, sorry for the noise. Here I was thinking you had suffered from a brain
fart or something. I read your other post about the .exe suffix for the cross
compiler first and erroneously thought you were talking about cross compilers
here as well.

Oh well, I'm crawling back to my corner...

Cheers,
Peter