Re: ITP: autobuild

On 09/20/2010 08:24 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
On 9/20/2010 4:15 AM, Peter Rosin wrote:
But is it really a requirement? If you are referring to libtool commit
v2.2.10-92-g92d24b3, then that patch adds an /optional/ dependency on
autobuild. If you are a maintainer doing a release of libtool, it
probably is a requirement, but are you not simply building the released
version (perhaps with a few patches)? I know that I certainly have built
git libtool many times when working on it, and I do not have autobuild
installed.

cygport -- unless overridden -- always runs 'autoreconf' on a package. autoreconf runs aclocal, which means autobuild.m4 must be available; hence, *the way we routinely (re)build libtool*, autobuild is required.

Ironically, the main reason cygport autoreconf's everything is to ensure
that libtoolized packages use cygwin's customized version of...libtool.

Yes, it is rather ironic that building the cygwin package of libtool requires running autoreconf, in order to use cygwin's libtool to fix up the build of cygwin's libtool. At any rate, +1 from me for packaging autobuild. There are several other GNU packages that use autobuild.m4 (such as coreutils and m4), but they include it in the tarball rather than expecting it to be pre-installed the way libtool 2.4 appears to be doing things.