Re: Need input on packaging mingw-w64 for Cygwin

On 1/24/2010 04:51, Charles Wilson wrote:
Dave Korn wrote:
On 23/01/2010 19:02, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On 1/23/2010 21:51, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
mingw-w64<http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/>   is a fork of mingw to
support both win32 and win64. It'll obviously be setup as a cross
compiler on Cygwin.

Does this mean that these are all non-cygwin mingw apps?

Nope, they are cygwin-based cross development tools.

Except, apparently, the proposed build of gdb -- unless Chris S. was confused:

One question though, is there a point to having gdb?  The stdin/stdout
handling is messed up a little due to it being an interactive DOS app
running within Cygwin.  It works, but the command line interface can
get a little messy after a while.

OK, cross gdb can be left out for now. The gdb server won't be a cygwin application, but gdb itself is. 32bit debugging is very much already covered by Cygwin gcc.

My concern is this: we (cygwin) definitely need a gcc-4-based mingw
cross compiler. On which source tree shall it be based, and who will be
"our" maintainer?

I can do a cross gcc-4 for plain mingw too, I just need some help for the cygport part.

The proposal on the table is to use the mingw-64 source tree (that is,
the gcc/binutils source code as patched by the mingw-w64 project,
coupled with THIER patched version of the w32api and mingwrt runtime
libs), configured in such a way as to support 32bit $host (*).

I was under the impression, until now, that we would be using the
mingw.org version of all of that.

Binutils and GCC for mingw-w64 are vanilla FSF releases, no patches are applied. Well, no plans to replace mingw.org gcc, as it is what most users are used to.

Personal: the mingw-w64 guys are critical of the (perceived) lack of
user support form the mingw.org community; while the mingw.org guys are
pissed that the w64 fellas have been pushing changes into upstream
projects like gcc and binutils that sometimes conflict with the
"original" mingw.

I find that unfortunate, but I don't think the conflicts were intentional.

It looks like we have no choice but to choose, as we need SOMETHING to
compile native w32 code, such as setup.exe -- and gcc3 is getting long
in the tooth.  (Alternatively, we could "let a thousand flowers bloom"
and have all three: mingw64-gcc-32bit, mingw64-gcc-64bit, and
mingw-gcc-32bit cross compile toolchains in the distro...and cgf was
worried about confusion?)

Preferably, I would like to see all 3 of them available for Cygwin. They shouldn't conflict either, they have different target triplets.