Re: Avoiding the final setup.exe page

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 04:54:44PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>People have complained about the final setup.exe page which asks about
>>creating an icon, etc.  What's the best way to stop that page from
>>showing up every time you run setup.exe?  Should it only be asked on
>>the very first installation (easy) or should there be a "Don't ask this
>>question again" (harder)?
>>
>>And, if that page goes away, should setup.exe just exit when it is done
>>or should it still have something that you click?
>
>We have to have /some/ kind of final page to let people know that setup
>completed successfully, if it just suddenly exits it will look like it
>might have crashed.  Given that, it's just common sense to put those
>buttons onto it.

I agree.  I thought if I didn't mention the option someone else would.

>I think the buttons should behave like one-shots, I don't think they
>should remember their settings, and I think they should default on for
>a first install only.

That's easily done.

>  Also I think the complaints would probably go away if we relaid-out that
>page so that the main central area was just a "Congrats, setup completed OK"
>message and the buttons were small and out of the way in the lower part of the
>page somewhere, rather than being the central focus of the page.  That way
>people wouldn't feel they were being put through an extra unnecessary step
>just to be presented with a couple of options they probably don't want 99% of
>the time; they'd just feel that they were being presented with a completion
>screen.  (We could even add a "Launch Cygwin now" tickbox under the "completed
>ok" message if we wanted to really try and manipulate people's subconscious
>it more familiar and they'll not feel uncomfortable when they encounter it.)

I think all of the above makes sense.  Looking at the final scren, it's
prominently labelled "Create Icons".  That is just wrong.

Also, as far as I can tell, there is no remembering of anything going on
now.  The buttons are off by default.  Is that right or am I missing
something in the complicated setup code?

If we have a "Launch Cygwin now" button that should probably also be on for
the first install and off for any subsequent runs.

cgf