RE: Question: Desired owner/group when running setup-1.7.exe

> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:02:26 +0200
> Subject: Question: Desired owner/group when running setup-1.7.exe
>
> Hi guys,
>
> along the lines of the thread starting at
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-04/msg00066.html I'd like to ask a
> multiple choice question to all of you.
>
> Right now, setup-1.7.exe constructs the POSIX permissions ACL for the
> files it extracts like this:

> So, here's the multiple choice question:
>
> How should setup.exe choose the file ownership for extracted files?
>
> [ ] I like it as it is. Just keep it.
>
> [ ] If the current user is an administrative user, make "Administrators"
> the group of the files:
>
> owner: Current user.
> group: Administrators.
>
> [ ] If the current user is an administrative user, make "Administrators"
> the owner of the files:
>
> owner: Administrators.
> group: The primary group of the account running setup.

I like number 3 the best. I generally use Administrators none and 755 for everything but individual users files and special files that specific permissions for sshd and such. I currently run a script that hammers the permissions and ownership after each run of setup.exe. I usually just turn execute permissions on for everything, but I wouldn't mind doing a better job on that.

What about having setup look at a special file and use the ACL as a template for what it does? Then, once a user has installed and configued, setup.exe won't bork it later. The only reason that I run a script after each setup is to fixup mounts and permissions.

Perhaps setup could be given an initial template specification from the command line...that would not not add as much work to setup as GUI changes, and would all automated installs control over it.

Thanks,

...Karl
Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.