Re: GCC4 status.

On Feb 24 11:35, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:14:51AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >IMO it would be much easier to keep mingw and w32api in place and just
> >create matching symlinks in /usr/i686-pc-mingw32.  This way you can
> >create a standard compiler *and* keep the include and lib files in
> >place.  We can't move all of it out of the way anyway.  We need at least
> >the mingw DLL in /bin since some Cygwin tools rely on it.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something but I just checked every executable in my
> bin area and I didn't find any that relied on a mingw DLL.

My fault.  I blindly assumed that cygcheck and strace link against the
mingw dll but they really just need msvcrt.dll.

> >w32api headers and linking against Windows libs in Cygwin applications
> >might not be very POSIX compliant, but is necessary.  Every Cygwin
> >application you link must be linked against kernel32.dll and friends.
>
> That's why I talked about making selective symlinks into /usr/lib.

and /usr/include, please.

> Maybe, to be kind, we could create a /usr/mingw directory so that people
> could add -L/usr/mingw/lib to their link lines rather than -L/usr/i686-pc-mingw/lib .

I don't think that's necessary.  I just dread a situation where you
suddenly don't have w32api in the default include and lib search paths.
I don't have problems with mingw.  Just w32api is essential IMO.  If I
missed this in the discussion up to this point, feel free to ignore me.
Otherwise, just make sure that w32api is searched by default.

Red Hat