Re: [HEADSUP] Maintainers, please switch to Cygwin 1.7

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

Given that 1.7 is due really soon now (before summer), I'm wondering if not all maintainers should switch to Cygwin 1.7 now and build packages for 1.7 only from now on.

I second that. The only test that matters for something like Cygwin is day-to-day use in lots of different environments.

At some near-future time, you might even add a 1.7 setup.exe link to the home page. Mark it as beta, and some people will still download it because it's the new shiny. If that causes lots of noise on the list, well, that's the idea, isn't it?

Other than that I'm wondering about the small trickle of bug reports
related to Cygwin 1.7.  Either it's already quite stable, or it gets
only tested by 3 or 4 users...

.38 fixed the only two bugs I've seen with 1.7: the scp bug and the cygcheck -r infinite recursion on Vista 64. Both were reported and solved on the lists before I ran into them. So, thank you for responding to both quickly!

Well, there's still the 1.5/1.7 entanglement problem, but that's not going to be fixed, so we can't count that.

With just a few testers, those "breaks something very important really hard" bugs are the only ones likely to be found. At some point, it will have to undergo the sort of serious stress that only happens with widespread adoption to find the subtle bugs. Hopefully that happens while it's still considered experimental.