Re: Is it my setup or the mirror page that is wrong as to the current status of a mirror

Dave Korn wrote:
> > My install of setup on my Windows XP laptop always looks to the mirror
> > sourceware.mirrors.tds.net (ftp) and ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu(ftp) for its
> > updates and the web page http://www.cygwin.com/mirrors.html shows these
> > mirror current as of 2008-08-29 13:48GMT and yet if I run a setup
> > version compiled from cvs in July 2007 or a setup I compiled on
> > 8/21/2008 from cvs it always tells me that the site
> > sourceware.mirrors.tds.net (ftp) is not current.
>
>   Can't reproduce.

I think I found a clue and have a hunch what is happening.  I checked the
mirrors-lst file that was downloaded the last time I ran setup on the
windows XP machine (which has been warning me about sourceware).  I found
these line at the end of the mirrors-lst file:

# Following mirrors re-added by setup.exe to warn again about dropped urls.
ftp://sourceware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/sourceware.org/cygwin;sourceware.mirro
rs.tds.net;North America;Wisconsin

If I remove these line then the mirror check proceeds as normal and no
warning occurs.  I looked at my Windows 2000 machine and found a similar
line for the gatech mirror which when removed from the mirror-lst file the
warning goes away in setup on that machine as well.  I then left the line
there and started setup and the line stays with the updated mirrors-lst
file leading me to believe that setup is copying those lines each time from
the old mirrors-lst file to the new.  My hunch is that at some point that
line got in the mirror-lst file because the mirror was out of date and then
each time I get the warning dialog I respond to Yes I want to continue
using the mirror and I do not check "do not warn me again".  My guess is
that I get the warning because the lines are there and that setup does not
reaffirm that the lines need to be there.

Thoughts?

bk