Re: New Cygwin 1.7.0-18 in release-2

On Jul 23 22:44, Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> | I'd be happy if even the most important packages have been rebuilt for
> | 1.7.  So far the reactions from the package maintainers were somewhat
> | reticent.
>
> I know I've been holding back because of the apparent difficulties in
> transitioning between versions (even one way, not to mention
> back-and-forth), and until recently the uncertainty as to the timeframe
> for 1.7.  I am at the point that I am ready to consider switching, however.

I'm building OpenSSH as 1.5 and 1.7 version in different build dirs.
I had no transitioning problems.  Maybe that's because the build system
is rather simple or something.  Admittedly, except for openssh, openssl
and syslog-ng and a local BETA vim7.2a I didn't bother to create more
1.7 packages so far.  I was mainly interested in IPv6.

> | I'm still rather trying to smooth out the upgrade path so that there
> | are as little as possible manual changes left to the user.  It will
> | be bumpy nevertheless...
>
> IOW you want to leave upgrading in the same root a possibility.  Is it
> really worth it?

Honestly, I don't know.  Maybe it isn't.  But so far I'm still thinking
that a parallel 1.7 install should only be a temporary solution for
developers and maintainers.  It's not something I would like to drag
on for years.  That's why an upgrade path has some merits for me.

> | The problem so far is the "Cygnus Solutions" registry key and the
> | default name of the cygwin dir, C:\cygwin.  When you try to install
> | 1.7, both shouldn't exist.  So what I did is this:
>
> I understand the registry key is due to setup.  But what's the problem
> with C:\cygwin?

So far setup looks if c:\cygwin exists and if so, uses the install
database in c:\cygwin\etc\setup accidentelly, even if you choose to
install another installation to, say, D:\cygwin-2.

> | We *really* need a new setup for 1.7 which doesn't access the "Cygnus
> | Solutions" registry key anymore.
>
> Agreed, **ASAP**.

Red Hat