Re: I broke cygport

Thanks for your feedback.

Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
cygconf is intended only for autoconf-based configure scripts.  I'm not
familiar with XEmacs, but I do know that autoconf-based configures will
just ignore unknown arguments, so I will guess that XEmacs' configure is
not autoconf-based.

Well XEmacs 21.4 is based on autoconf 2.13 and 21.5 is based on autoconf 2.59. Neither configure script ignores unknown arguments:

$ ../cvsroot/xemacs-21.4/configure --datarootdir=/foo
../cvsroot/xemacs-21.4/configure: Usage error:
  Unrecognized option: --datarootdir=/foo
  Use `../cvsroot/xemacs-21.4/configure --help' to show usage.

$ ../cvsroot/xemacs-21.5/configure --datarootdir=/foo
configure: error: unrecognized option: --datarootdir=/foo
Try `../cvsroot/xemacs-21.5/configure --help' for more information.

Non-autoconf-based configure scripts should do something like:

lndirs
cd ${B}
./configure <args> || error "configure failed"
cygmake

Fair enough.

For the record, attached is a patch against CVS head.  This patch
allows overriding the individual components of the default configure
arguments in the cygconf() function.  In addition, I fixed some minor
typos in README unrelated to the cygconf() change; you may find those
useful in their own right.

BTW, your ChangeLog format is different from what I'm used to; I'm used to
including an identifier of who made the change.  See
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html for details.

Thanks again for cygport.

Regards,
  Vin Shelton