Re: An all-new upset error message - tar related?

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 05:17:21PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 14 April 2006 17:14, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>/export/u0/sourceware/sourceware/libre/infra/bin/cygwin/Cygwin/Setup/Listing.p
>>>>

>/export/u0/sourceware/sourceware/libre/infra/bin/cygwin/Cygwin/Setup/Listing.p
>>>>

>/export/u0/sourceware/sourceware/libre/infra/bin/cygwin/Cygwin/Setup/Listing.p
>>>>

>/export/u0/sourceware/sourceware/libre/infra/bin/cygwin/Cygwin/Setup/Listing.p

>>>  The message itself comes from bunzip2.  If tar is somehow now piping stuff
>>> to or from it in textmode when using -j, .... ouch!  The phrase "at offset
>>> unknown" suggests fseek-vs-textmode trouble as well.

>>> ... which is a native LF-speaking linux box...
>>
>> And the actual error is coming from a native LF-speaking linux box.  It's
>> hard to see how this could be a CRLF issue.
>
>  I'm thinking of the pipe on the windows box where the tarball is packed up
>leaving CRLFs in the bunzip2 format which mess up the bunzip2 in the pipe on
>sourceware when it gets unpacked.

There is no windows box in the equation when I successfully unpack and
repack the archives on sourceware.

However, I just managed to duplicate the problem with a repacked tar.bz2 so
that should rule out a cygwin-tar problem.  I'll investigate what changed on
sourceware.

One of the people with root access likes to "help out" by periodically
(and often silently) making changes on sourceware.org that make a lot of
sense to him -- even to parts of the system that I've historically
maintained.  So, it's possible that something has been changed.

cgf