Re: RFC: [ITP] Installation Profiles packages

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 01:52:20PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >As the latest installment in the recent series of major "D'oh!"s, I
> >realized that the installation profiles I previously proposed for setup
> >could be initially implemented as special packages with the right
> >dependences.  This still doesn't absolve us from adding some more
> >sophisticated support for these in setup (e.g., communicating the user
> >prerefence about creating desktop icons to them), but it's a start, and
> >it'll cut down on the "I installed Cygwin, so how come gcc doesn't work"
> >(and the much more annoying "just install everything, it's only 2 gigs"
> >answers to those).
> >
> >IMO, these packages should be in a special new category (I propose the
> >name "@Profiles" to make setup put this at the top, but I don't know if
> >setup will parse this correctly).  I've attached a few sample profile
> >packages for commonly requested configurations with the corresponding
> >setup.hints.  We could probably concentrate them all in one directory
> >(thus the '@ ...' lines at the top of the hint files).  All the .tar.bz2
> >files are the same empty tarball -- it's the setup.hints that are
> >important.
> >
> >Comments and other suggestions welcome.  Note that the attached packages
> >are an initial cut at defining those profiles -- I'm bound to have missed
> >something.  Also, I'm not proposing to maintain *all* of the profiles,
> >though I could maintain the ones I've attached, as there isn't too much
> >work involved.
>
> Assuming that Corinna agrees, I'm willing to put these in a directory in
> release.
>
> I'd like to get some consensus on the name "Profiles", though.  Is that
> adequately intuitive?

That's one of the things I wanted suggestions on.

BTW, I just noticed that the setup.hints as sent won't parse, since setup
treats "@" at the start of a word as a separate character.  I'll need to
quote the categories (in which case we might as well put a space there and
call it "@Installation Profiles", or even " Installation Profiles", to
ensure that they appear before the rest of the categories in the category
view).  Will "upset" parse quoted strings properly?

Other comments?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/