Re: Trial Packaging for pstoedit-3.42

--- "Dr. Volker Zell" <Dr.Volker.Zell@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Your patch doesn't apply cleanly. Try the below patches.

Ok, I realized that a couple hours after I posted the links, and corrected the
problem, but I guess you downloaded before I got that done.  Just before I
posted the initial source package, I found that the index.htm file in the
documentation contained commercial advertising, so I edited it, to remove the
ads.  But all the docs were using dos cr-lf formatting, rather than unix lf,
which for some reason makes patch barf, even though diff computes fine.  I'm
sure there is an elegant way to solve that problem using diff, but I couldn't
find it.  I fixed it by putting a d2u command in the unpack function in the
packaging script.  Is there any problem with that solution?

> Some comments:
>
>  o Development packages have devel in their names and not dev

OK.  I accept your first patch, then.

>  o Your README states that libswf could be used for SWF support.
>    But configure checks for libming from
>     o ming - http://ming.sourceforge.net/ -

Good catch.  I was going by the docs at the web site, and was led astray.  I'll
ask Dr. Glunz to update his docs.  I guess your second patch takes care of
this.

>  o I would also copy the java subdirectory (without the Makefile* files
>    of course) to the pstoedit doc dir in the install phase. (This is not
>    yet in my patch below)

OK.

> If you fix these, I think your package is GTG.

I'm thinking now that packaging plotutils/libplot and then configuring/linking
pstoedit against that would greatly expand the range of output formats
available from pstoedit.  What would you think about deferring a pstoedit
package until I make a plotutils package available?

I've done a trial build of plotutils, and only issue I see is that it won't
build a shared library (libplot) on cygwin, even if it is told to do so during
configuration.  It builds a static library fine, as far as I can tell.
Assuming I go with that instead of trying to fix the issue, that means libplot
will be a development library  only, required at build time, but not at run time.