Re: Blind people using setup.exe?

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Larry Hall wrote:
>
> > You can certainly manipulate the state of the console window using the
> > STARTUPINFO structure for CreateProcess() (see the dwFlags and
> > wShowWindow parameters).  I've used this in the past to hide a console
> > window that's created by invoking a console app via CreateProcess().
>
> I think we're just going in circles here.  The whole point of compiling
> setup as a character mode application is that so it would have a console
> attached when it runs.  But then you have the ugly flashing console
> window.  If you supply the DETACHED (whatever it's called) option to
> CreateProcess, then you're back to where you started and might as well
> just compile it as a windowed process that has no console.
>
> Really I think just displaying a MessageBox (or some other kind of
> notification window) is the best way to go.  Since setup uses the
> autoload capability it *might* be possible to detect if running under XP
> and call AttachConsole().

I've poked around, and it seems that the console handling design is so
retarded, there isn't a way of doing this at all.  So, looks like a
MessageBox of sorts is the way to go after all.

> But even that may be overcomplicating things, because then you have
> different behaviors depending on what OS it's running on, and whether a
> console or a pty is involved.

Unless...  Is there a way to ensure that setup always runs with its
standard out attached to a pipe?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT