Re: setup 2.431 error log file

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Patrick Jones wrote:

> Yes, I'm certain that I'm running 2.431 - and I did notice the discrepancy
> between the version numbers, but figured that the informational message just
> wasn't updated to reflect the new setup version...

Well, my question was more along the lines of "are you sure the *log file*
is from running setup 2.431"...  And it apparently isn't.  See below.

> Unfortunately I can't connect this computer to the internet to install
> right from the cygwin site, the way I'd like to. Since this is my first
> cygwin installation, I can't use any of the debugging tools from a
> previous version that seem to be helpful in these situations.
>
> Is there any other reason why setup would just quit?

Ah, there's the crucial piece of information that was missing in your
setup crashes in an un-anticipated way, the log is basically lost (yes,
pathetic, I know -- PTC).  So the log you're seeing is from an older run
of setup 2.427.

The best way to see the current log would be to run setup under gdb (even
if it doesn't have debug symbol information) -- the log messages will show
up on stderr.

HTH,
	Igor
P.S. Oh, and <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw