Re: [ITP-2] glib-2.4.2-1

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

It's such things that makes some people think GLib is a GNOME or graphical library and should be avoided at all.

I agree. There are some overlappings though. But since there are already some of the core libraries of the GNOME desktop in /usr we should just stay with it.

I support the /opt/gnome2/ (or whatever) idea for gnome libs and apps. However, I wouldn't cry -- and would probably support -- the idea of NON-gnome libs, which are currently not yet part of cygwin, but which gnome uses, to live in /usr. Like glib, audiofile, etc.

OTOH, gtk+, being a windowing library, could go either way IMO. If it goes in /opt/gnome2/, then later some genius could provide gtk+win which could live in /opt/gnome2-win/ and use MSW windowing+cygwin(*) instead of X+cygwin. (I assume that the folks behind this gnome-push are thinking X-based, right?) OTO-Other-H, gtk+ != gnome, and there are plenty of non-gnome apps that use plain-old-gtk; this mitigates against /opt/*.

Good thing I'm not in charge of these decisions, or nothing would get done. :-)

(*) note that MSW-windowing+cygwin is *different* from native MSW gtk, as used by Tor Lilqvist's native port of gimp. It's like the fact that there are/were THREE distinct builds of XEmacs on windows:
native MSW XEmacs -- used native windows libs for GUI and runtime
cygwin-X XEmacs -- used cygwin-X for GUI, and cygwin runtime
cygwin-MSW XEmacs -- used native libs for GUI, but cygwin runtime
Note that the XEmacs currently distributed as part of the cygwin package is BOTH a build#2 and a build#3, simultaneously.

--
Chuck