RE: [RFC] Would there be a need for a java-wrappers package?

> From: Igor Pechtchanski
>
> I would like to hear opinions on how useful a java-wrappers package would
> be.  The package will contain a few shell scripts that allow users to
> invoke the regular Java SDK tools (java, javac, javadoc) from Cygwin,
> making them look like their Unix counterparts (i.e., POSIX filenames).
> The scripts would be updated versions of those posted in
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg00174.html>.
>
> There are a few reasons why I have misgivings about this.  First off, some
> tools (notably Ant and Tomcat) recognize Cygwin and do something specific
> to Cygwin anyway, which will probably (most likely) get screwed up if the
> java they find looks like a Unix version (this did happen to me with Ant
> and Cygwin-native jikes).  Secondly, the tools will certainly not be
> foolproof (although I'll try my best to make them as robust and autonomous
> as possible).  Thirdly, java versioning may become a problem.

Igor, I'd be interested and have had some fixes committed to Ant before so I
know folks there, if you want to continue this off-list, please feel free to
email me directly (I almost posted to your private address, but thought an
invitation to chat would go down better ;)

J.