Re: [RFC] Globally creating a user and a group "root"

John,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 03:44:44PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 12:29:08PM -0000, Morrison, John wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > Eh, no.  I was thinking about a postinstall script, which checks for
> > > Everyone (S-1-0-0) in /etc/passwd and /etc/group and removes these
> > > entries silently.  The same script could add the "root" entry to
> > > /etc/group.
> >
> > But then what happens if somebody messes up there /etc/[passwd|group]
> > and have to create it again?  Does mk[passwd|group] do the changes
> > automatically?
>
> mkpasswd and mkgroup don't create an Everyone entry since August 2002.
>
> The remaining problem is the special handling of root.  I guess it's
> best to create the /etc/group entry already in mkgroup.  For mkpasswd
> it might be best, to add a special handling like this:  If a Windows
> user "root" exists, give it the uid 0.

any chance you can poke the base-passwd script soon, to check for a
user and a group with SID S-1-1-0 in the existing /etc/passwd and
/etc/group files and remove them silently?

Also it would be good if the script adds the following entry to
/etc/group, if possible as the first line:

  root:S-1-5-32-544:0:

Red Hat, Inc.