Re: Proposal: psutils (again)

Hi Volker!

I fixed the points from your mail. The new packages are available under the same URLs as before:

http://home.in.tum.de/~boesswet/psutils_cygwin/psutils-1.17-1.tar.bz2
http://home.in.tum.de/~boesswet/psutils_cygwin/psutils-1.17-1-src.tar.bz2

setup.hint now looks like this:

@ psutils
sdesc: "psutils - Postscript Utilities"
ldesc: "PSUtils is a collection of useful utilities for manipulating
PostScript documents. Programs included are psnup, for placing out several
logical pages on a single sheet of paper, psselect, for selecting pages
from a document, pstops, for general imposition, psbook, for signature
generation for booklet printing, and psresize, for adjusting page sizes."
category: Publishing
test: 1.17-1
requires: perl

The REAME now tells you how to build from source, including the fact, that you have to symlink the Makefile.unix to Makefile.

Best Regards,
Daniel

Volker Quetschke wrote:

Hi!

+1 for the package from here.

as seen at

the psutils disappeared from the TeX-distribution and are AFAICS not yet a seperate package. The unsupported packages on Jan's site seem to be lost as well, so I compiled it from source and would (enough votes presumed) become the maintainer of the Cygwin port.

I did a quick review, here is what I found:

- Your psutils-1.17-1.patch is not patching the original Makefile
  of the source package, but creates a new Makefile. So you cannot
  recreate the original source by applying the reverse patch.

- The setup.hint in CYGWIN-PATCHES has an "ldesc" which contains one *very*
long line as a program description. It propably would be better to split
it into some lines, with each line shorter than 80 characters.

- The package installs some perl scripts into /usr/bin, so perl is required,
this has to go into the setup.hint

- In the psutils-1.17.README give the information needed for an end user to
recreate the package. This includes CFLAGS settings, configure parameters,
etc. (Even, if it's just make, make install)

I'didn't test the functionality, but the package builds cleanly and the layout
of of the binary package looks ok.

I'll have a deeper look at the makefile patch, once it's there.

Volker