Re: astksh review

I started composing a response a fews days ago and got
sidetracked, but it was along the same lines:

The cygwin astksh package does what it advertises -- it
builds ksh93 on cygwin.  The source is all there, but the
build environment is mainly for bootstrapping, not
development.

If you want to twiddle the source and do incremental
builds then download and build the ast-base package in
/opt/ast, following the generic source instructions.
After it installs you can run the ast nmake from any
directory that contains a Makefile.  nmake takes
care of recursive subdir ordering.

For those who equate different with painful: get the
aspirin out. Source miners will have to step out of all
that is gnu -- configure automake autoconf libtool.
The main difference is that the ast Makefiles are
source -- all config-type generation, prerequisite scanning,
conditional selection, local compilation conventions, etc.,
happen as a direct consequence of running the ast
nmake.  Detailed discussion is welcome at

ast-users@research.att.com

Finally, to reinforce Karsten's reply, we won't retrofit
automake etc. We have source configuration
managment in place that has basically the same form
now as it did in 1990.

-- Glenn

Sorry this was probably my fault. When I mentioned build instructions, what I meant was some "unpack foo do bar" sort of thing in an /usr/doc/Cygwin/astksh.README . This will help if people/users that want to re-build the package from source, and it also follows the Cygwin README convention (even if it doesn't get read ;-). All it should need is the steps to build from source and perhaps build the packages, too (in addition to what's already there).

BTW, It might have looked like I lost interest in this, I didn't, just lost my e-mail address ;-)

Elfyn

Find a cheaper internet access deal - choose one to suit you. http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess