Re: cygwin-setup-dev (was: RE: Create a cygwin-setup mailing list?)

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:49:51AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:08:14AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> >
> >> [snip] I'd suggest though that "cygwin-apps" be renamed to something
> >> more descriptive of its purpose, e.g. "cygwin-packaging",
> >> "cygwin-app-packaging", etc.  It'd reduce the incidence of folks
> >> wandering in here looking for help with apps.
> >
> ><http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#APPS> ;-)
>
> I've toyed with the idea of renaming the group and I think I've even
> suggested it myself.  I still have a problem with the concept of people
> noticing that the cygwin-apps mailing list exists, ignoring any
> documentation on what it is used for, and sending bug report messages to
> the list.  I think society owes it to those people to correct their
> general way of doing things.
>
> That plus the fact that it is a *real* pain to rename a mailing list has
> stopped me from seriously considering doing anything.

Two new ones sounds best to me. Would it be a pain to alias a list? If not,
you could create two new lists, cygwin-packaging@ and cygwin-setup-developers@
first and alias cygwin-apps@ to cygwin-packaging@ until the traffic dies
down (a month?). Then, realias cygwin-apps@ to cygwin@ to catch the people
who don't read. Oh, and stop the archiving immediately.

> >P.S. It's one more list for me to track, but I do recognize the necessity.
>
> Personally, I like having more mailing lists.  It is the same amount of email
> but it makes tracking and sorting of discussions easier.

At the risk of sounding like a toady, I like more lists too.

Another option would be to move just the packaging to a new list, leaving the
setup discussion. Though I don't really see any advantages there that two new
lists wouldn't accomplish.