Re: Setup version in setup.ini

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Max Bowsher wrote:
>
>> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>>> This is puzzling.  There is an option in upx that disables compression
for
>>> resources ("--compress-resouces=0").  Using it does add about 11k to the
>>> size of the executable.  However, even with that option, "strings
>>> setup.exe" doesn't show any of the resources...  Am I understanding the
>>> intent of the option correctly?  If not, what am I missing?
>>
>> The resources are stored in Unicode. Try strings -el.
>
> Yep, got it.  Thanks.
>
>> But the version marker isn't a resource anyway.
>> Max.
>
> Should it be?  I don't know much about resources, but can we have two .rc
> files, one containing only the version (i.e., instead of setup_version.c
> generate a setup_version.rc)?  Alternatively, I know the Windows EXE
> header has a slot for an application-defined version...  If upx keeps that
> intact, we could look into that approach.

Unfortunately, most of the current resources *should* be compressed.
And our versions can be arbitrary length strings, so the EXE header is
unlikely to be sufficient.

> Igor
> P.S. How did it work before?  upx has been used for a while now, hasn't
it?

I suspect it *didn't* work for a while now.

Perhaps we should go for the low-tech approach: Just have a file on
sources.r.c that gets manually updated at each release.

Max.