setup question: Shouldn't dependency info be honored even during local installs?

Shouldn't the dependency part of setup.exe be "back end" driven?  That
is, when setup.exe goes to install tar, shouldn't it complain if gzip
isn't installed or going to be installed?

If not, maybe we need a utility which can be run (cygcheck?) to check
package dependencies.  Then we can just tell someone to "run cygcheck -p"
to analyze their packages or something.

cgf