Re: [list] Re: init and agetty packages available for review/upload. (fwd)

> Huh, what about typing init <runlevel> on the command line to switch
> runlevels?

bash-2.05b$ oldps af
  PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
  844   0 S    0:00 bash
 2080   0 R    0:00  \_ oldps af
bash-2.05b$ ./chkconfig --list
xinetd          0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
xinetd based services:
        chargen:        on
        chargen-udp:    on
        daytime:        on
        daytime-udp:    on
        echo:   on
        echo-udp:       on
        ftpd:   on
        rexec:  on
        rlogin: on
        rsh:    off
        rsync:  off
        servers:        on
        services:       on
        talk:   on
        telnet: on
        time:   off
        time-udp:       off
bash-2.05b$ net start init
The init service is starting.
The init service was started successfully.

bash-2.05b$ oldps af
  PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
 1432   ? S    0:00 xinetd -stayalive -reuse -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
 1988   ? S    0:00 /bin/cygrunsrv
 2436   ? S    0:00  \_ init [3]
  844   0 S    0:00 bash
  712   0 R    0:00  \_ oldps af
bash-2.05b$ /sbin/init 1
bash-2.05b$ oldps af
  PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
 1988   ? S    0:00 /bin/cygrunsrv
 2436   ? S    0:00  \_ init [1]
  844   0 S    0:00 bash
 2316   0 R    0:00  \_ oldps af
bash-2.05b$

I can't release xinetd package now because patched to support ioctl(fd,
FIONREAD, ...) on pipes cygwin1.dll required to run xinetd. I sent the patch
to cygwin-developers already. When the patch will be included into a net
release, I will release xinetd, chkconfig and initscripts packages. BTW, my
/etc/inittab is

#
# inittab       This file describes how the INIT process should set up
#               the system in a certain run-level.
#
# Author:       Miquel van Smoorenburg, <miquels@drinkel.nl.mugnet.org>
#               Modified for RHS Linux by Marc Ewing and Donnie Barnes
#

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:

# System initialization.
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 0
l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6

# Things to run in every runlevel.
#ud::once:/sbin/update

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE (SIGINT on cygwin)
#ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

# When our UPS tells us power has failed, assume we have a few minutes
# of power left.  Schedule a shutdown for 2 minutes from now.
# This does, of course, assume you have powerd installed and your
# UPS connected and working correctly.
#pf::powerfail:/sbin/shutdown -f -h +2 "Power Failure; System Shutting Down"

# If power was restored before the shutdown kicked in, cancel it.
#pr:12345:powerokwait:/sbin/shutdown -c "Power Restored; Shutdown Cancelled"

# Run agettys in standard runlevels
#S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L -T vt100 -n ttyS0 9600 ttyS0

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
#x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon