Re: init and agetty packages available for review/upload. (fwd)

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Sergey Okhapkin wrote:

> I'm too lazy to send 2 URLs:-)

I suppose because of the overwealmingly positive response we
can make an exception...

> > > While I really like the idea of having an init running, I don't
> > > think that simply selecting the package should make it install as a
> > > service with the postinstall script (!). You might take a look at
> > > how Corinna did sshd.
>
> Sshd can run as stand-alone service or from inetd. Init supposed to run as a
> service only. I don't expect somebody need to run init from something other
> than cygrunsrv:-)

Well, yes, but just because someone downloads init (for example, to
run agetty) doesn't mean they want it running every time they start
up thier computer!

> > > Some other questions that come to mind:
> > > --any thoughts on more support for runlevels in inittab?
>
> inittab supports all runlevels. The file in the package is for reference
> only. I'm going to provide redhat-like initscripts package later.

Sounds great. (BTW Sergey also sent me off-list an example of running
xinetd as a service started from init--though to do it properly we will
need initscripts. Very exciting stuff.)

> > > --does this work on Win9x/ME?
>
> I don't know. I have no any Win9x installation around.

Can someone test this?

Also, what about the cygutils /usr/bin/last.exe collision?
--
Joshua Daniel Franklin
Network Administrator